Pet insurance can help cover the costs of future emergency vet visits. Remember, insurance must be purchased before an illness or injury has occurred.Here at Odie, we try to make purchasing pet insurance as easy as possible. We're not perfect but we do our best to keep improving the customer experience.
- First, you'll build a pet insurance plan using the online quote form -- here, you can customize coverage around your budget and pet's needs.
- Once you sign up, you'll pay for the first month of you pet's insurance plan immediately and the policy will start the next day, for one year. Like a subscription, your credit card be automatically charged on the same date each month.
- Then, you'll receive an email within 10-15 minutes to set up your online account and receive access to the 24/7 Member Portal. This is where you can manage your pets, view policy documents, submit claims, and more.
The next few steps are important for verifying your pet's eligibility for coverage and submitting claims for reimbursement.
- In order to verify your pet's information and eligibility for coverage, you'll need to submit the last 18 months of your pet's medical history (instructions will be emailed after your policy is purchased). This will help us determine any pre-existing conditions that were present before the policy went into effect.
- You'll also need to complete a series of waiting periods before your insurance kicks in and you can submit your first claim. This is to prevent pet parents from signing up for insurance for already sick or injured pets and submitting a claim right away. Pet insurance helps cover unexpected events and keeping fraudulent claims from being submitted helps keep premiums affordable for everyone.
- Once the above conditions are met, you will be able to submit claims via the online portal and be reimbursed for eligible coverages.
Your policy documents will outline all of the important information including:
- Effective Dates
- Waiting Periods
- Annual Limit (maximum payout)
- Annual Deductible
- Reimbursement Rate
- And what's covered and not covered.
Like most pet insurance companies, Odie is a reimbursement model. This means you can visit any licensed vet in the US for treatment, pay your vet bill, and be reimbursed for any eligible line items.
- After your visit, make sure to settle your bill directly with the vet.
- Submit a claim to Odie via the online member portal. You'll need to upload a copy of the vet bill, receipt and any necessary medical documentation supporting the claim.
- Our claims team will process the claim. Any reimbursement due (after your annual deductible is met) will be sent via check or ACH.
We aim to process claims within 5 business days. This may be delayed if more information is required from the veterinarian or pet owner. Reimbursements are typically received within 3-10 days after a claim has been processed (the latter if it's snail mail :/).